There is no doubt that the Ilorin Emirate Descendant Progressive Union (IEDPU) has remained a potent force for the mobilization, encouragement and consolidation of the effort of the people of the Ilorin Emirate in our bid to develop and find a worthy place under the sun.
It is also an incontrovertible fact that the IEDPU has remained resilient, devoted and committed to the course of making life better for the people of Ilorin emirate. This is manifested in the unions achievement which covers the whole spectrum of community development, by its educational, economic, socio- cultural and physical development
Educational development is the area with the greatest achievement for IEDPU. This is done with view to using educational development to lay a solid foundation for development in the other sectors.
- The IEDPU is the first community development association in Northern Nigeria to establish a primary school, United Model Primary School Ilorin, established 1944.
- Established Ilorin Grammar School (IGS) in 1967.
- Established Ballah Community Secondary School, now Government Secondary Schools Ballah in 1978.
In 1980, IEDPU established Six Secondary Schools, they are:-
- Ajumobi Community Secondary School, Omode.
- Baboko Community Secondary School, Ilorin.
- Barakat Community secondary School, Ilorin.
- United Community Secondary School, Ilorin.
- Iponrin Community Secondary School, Ilorin.
- Established Ilorin Comprehensive High School (ICHOS) in 1995. IEDPU manages this School on it own Ilorin Model School Ita-nma, Ilorin in 2002.
- Sensitized, Motivate and assisted the defund Ilorin Local Government towards the Establishement of Okelele Secondary School, Ipaiye, in 1979.
- Ogele Community Secondary School in Asa Local Government Area, was also established.
Other Achievement of IEDPU
- The union has provided scholarship and bursary to indigent student from the Emirate both at secondary and tertiary levels.
- In 1996, the union through the support of Dr. Abubakar Olusola Saraki paid the West African Examination Council (WAEC) fee for 250 students from Ilorin Emirate.
- The union has consistently organized seminars for teachers and head teachers of primary and post primary schools in the Emirate with a view to improving their ability to teach the students.
- The union did not only champion the establishment of University of Ilorin in 1976, but was also in the fore front in the struggle for the re-opening of the Law Faculty of the University closed down 1988 by the National University Commission (NUC). The Law Faculty has been re-opened since 1993.
- The IEDSPU is the first Community Development Association in the whole of Nigeria that on its own undertook the rehabilitation of township roads. The IEDPU rehabilitated Isale Oja to Pakata and Ita Ogunbo to Omoda road in 1974
- The union established a Postal Agency at her secretariat located at Pakata round about in 1971 with a view to bringing communication service to the people living in the area.
- IEDPU promotes Islamic culture which is the culture of Ilorin Emirate.
- The greatest achievement of IEDPU in the economic sector is the establishment of Ilorin Community Bank, which was officially commissioned on March 29th, 1993. The Bank has been making soft loan available to its costumers. The Ilorin Community Bank is the first community bank to be licensed by the Central Bank of Nigeria in Kwara State and among the first 20 in the Country. It is gratifying to note that since 1993, Ilorin Community Bank has successfully passed the regular yearly inspections by NBCB, CBN, and NDIC. The Bank has been transformed into Ilorin Micro-Finance Bank with the help of other Stake-holders in 2008.